Wednesday 1 May 2013

Sea project

The biggest project this term is called " the sea project ". Basically we were devided into groups. Each group received an audio file, for which we had to make an animation. I will try to make regular post and keep you updated on how the project is going.

First of all, the project is all about sea rescue stories. In our audio file a guy talks about how he almost drowned in a strong sea current. So we decided to to split the animation into 3 parts. The first will be in his house where people will interview him. The second will be taking place in his memory, and the third will finish  again as an interview.



We started brainstorming on the subject and we were able to create this animatic:

We then decided the task for each person in the group. I had to do all the background and also the sea animation .The style of the animation will be very tricky to create, because for the first scene we are going to use a "Waltz with Bashir" style.

And for the second one a more cartoony look


For the first scene I came up with this environment:







For the second scene the waves were quite a problem. At first I decided to the ocean dynamics in maya. But it did not workout very nicely, because I did not have enough control over the waves. So I started to look for other solutions. In my reserch I came across a video that shows how the waves in the animation "Surf's up" were achieved.


I really liked the Idea, but I had no clue of how I was going to achieve the same animation. I red the the entire production report on "Surf's Up", where I got a better sence of the rig they used. Next my reserch turned towards different ways of how to create rigs. It was a long way but I think the final result was worth it. 

2 comments:

  1. Thats fascinating! never new such tools existed, or asked myself how they did the waves in Surfs Up

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I complete the entire rig, I will make a post showing how to create it.

    ReplyDelete